Free Hunting Magazine

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

ALASKAN BROWN BEAR:

Speaking of ALASKA again.   In 1997 I  booked a Brown Bear Hunt with Tracy Vern that was to be for 14 days in October,  on the Alaskan Peninsula near Bechaof Lake.  I had flailed to get a bear in 1995 and Tracy let me come back in "97" for the cost of the guide.  On the third day of the hunt we were on a stand overlooking the river below, when out of no where came two large boars walking down the bank.  The bear that I wanted was a bright gold in color, this in itself made him very unusual, but at the last minute he turned and ran in a different direction.  The second bear continued until he was within 40 yards of us.  This when the guide gave instructions to shoot.  The first shot put him down with half of him being in the river.  When later we were able to measure the big bear he came in at just over 10 foot square.  I was shooting a 340 Weatherby Mag. using 240 grain Nosler Partition.  Although there is lot of quality ammunition on the market I have always used Nosler Partitions, and they have never let me down.  If you are interested in viewing quality ammunition CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment