Free Hunting Magazine

Thursday, May 17, 2012

AMERICAN MOUNTAIN GOAT-ALASKA 2001


In January of 2001 I booked a Mountain Goat hunt with Bruce Parker of Parker Guide Service out of Juneau Alaska. The hunt was booked for the second week of November so the weather was going to very cold and wet. I wanted to go at this time as the goats had their longest hair of the year which would make for a beautiful life size mount.

After I arrived and spent the night in Juneau we flew by Beaver Float Plane to the Neptune. This was a 62 foot ocean cruiser that was to be my home for the next 10 days.

Each morning we would go by small boats up the inland passage way in search of mountain goats. This was an experience in it's self as the temperature was in the teens each day and it never stopped snowing. The water had literally thousands of icebergs which we had to navigate between. We also surveyed a 10 foot wave that was caused by caving from the Selway Glacier. A real experience.

We did this each day looking for the goats on the high ridges that went straight up from the sea. Each day we saw many goats but none that met the size we were looking for. Then on the fifth day we located a Billy that looked to have horns in excess of 9 inches with a very large body. The stock was on. We had a 1500' vertical climb to get above the goat which took us in excess of 90 minutes. Once in position with a steady rest the final shot from my 300 Weatherby Magnum was made from 150 yards. I had my Mountain Goat.

After a lot of pictures and spending the night on the Neptune I flew back to Juneau where I stayed at the Goldbelt Hotel. The next day I caught a plane to Seattle, then on to Phoenix where it all began, This allowed me plenty of time to gather my thoughts and think about how lucky I am to have experienced such a great adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment