Free Hunting Magazine

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

PREDATOR HUNTING

Looking for something to do when the rifle and bird seasons were complete?   I turned to Predator Hunting to fulfill the desire to be in the field with a gun.  Living in Northern Arizona at the time I was very aware that there was a great abundance of Coyotes, Foxes and Bobcats in the area from all my trips into the back country fishing and hunting.

As a rifle, I already owned a Ruger M77 Mark II in 22-250 that was topped with a Zeiss Diavari-C, 3x9x36 scope.  While shooting Federal Premium V-Shock 55 grain AMMUNITION it proved to be a deadly combination out to 300 yards and more.  I also carried a set of SWAROVSKI EL-10X32 Binoculars to make spotting the charging animals at a distance much easier.  All this plus a full line of CAMO HUNTING GEAR from Cabela's and I was set to begin actually hunting for varmints.  The only thing left I needed was to choose a Varmint call to bring the creators to within shooting distance.  Not being good with mouth calls as attested by my bad Duck Calling I originally chose a Johnny Stewart electric caller.  This worked great for years until I called in 4 foxes at the same time and they attacked and destroyed both speakers before I was able to collect them with the shotgun I was carrying at the time.  I now use a FoxPro SPITFIRE REMOTE CALLER for all my calling.  It is very light and easy to use, and comes at a comfortable price.

I go calling as often as I can and highly recommend it to anyone that wants to add a exciting sport to occupy their time when everything else is closed or just for enjoyment any time.  One thing to remember is that the animal being called is coming to get his meal and has a bad attitude.

1 comment:

  1. Rich, You are the hunting and fishing expert and your blog reflects this. Your awesome collection of mounted trophies is really amazing. Thanks for sharing your passion of the sport.

    ReplyDelete