Free Hunting Magazine

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

YUKON MOUNTAIN GRIZZLY-1999

Riding out from  a very successful dall sheep hunt with Mervyn's Yukon Outfitting by harvesting a beautiful 40 inch ram guide, Ken Bodally, and I spotted a Mountain Grizzly one ridge over.   Leaving our horses tied up we immediately began a stock on the Grizzly.  He was slowly ambling along and digging up holes in search of rodents.

Within 30 minutes we were able to get within 75 yards of the Grizzly who was still digging for rodents. I found a flat rock to put my backpack across making for a good rest for my rifle. I waited until the bear turned broadside. When he turned I made a well placed shot into the "boiler room" putting him straight down into the snow. Thinking he was down for good I jumped up and began to celebrate, when the Grizzly jumped up also. Reacting very quickly I placed another 180 grain Nosler behind the shoulder putting the big Bear down for good.

After taking a lot of pictures we skinned the Bear for a full life size mount, loaded everything on the pack horses and once again headed for our main camp at Lake Killerman.  The Grizzly was a beautiful Silver Tipped animal that measured 8 feet square. This is large for a Mountain Grizzly as they are the smallest of all the Brown Bear Species.

This had been a very successful and exciting hunt having harvested both a beautiful Dall Ram and large Mountain Grizzly. Both of these trophies became life size mounts and have provided me with memories that will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment